POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : basaltic columns : Re: basaltic columns Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: basaltic columns
From: s day
Date: 5 Jun 2013 16:00:01
Message: <web.51af989be9c4aeff1027a5320@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Since you want to basaltic columns, if you want to randomize them a bit more,
> you probably still want a general six-sidded shape.

Well from looking at images some are less but I think that would just over
complicate things so six sides are fine ;-)

> One way you can do this is:
> 1. Generate a hexagonal array of points at the average offset/size you want
> 2. Apply a random small x and y offset to each
> 3. creat prisms based on a voronoi tesselation of the points
> - for each point, find the distance and direction to each of its 6 neighbours
> - for each of these pairs, create a plane at the exact midpoint, and
> perpendicular to the direction vector
> - you will have 6 vertical planes for each point, create a CSG intersection of
> the 6 planes (plus a top height plane).
> - this should result in having a six sided array with no gaps, bu the hexagons
> won't be perfect hexagons

Hmm, not sure if my math skills are up to this, I am sure it is not that
complicated but I never paid enough attention in this subject, if only they had
used POV back then to make it more interesting..

> The next difficult step is determining hor to make rounded or chamfered edges to
> these shapes if you want.

The current columns are made from intersecting 7 height fields (one for the top)
so similar to what you are referring to above with planes but with the obvious
advantages. I am rounding/beveling the edges by combining the granite/wrinkles
pigments with a gradient pattern to raise the edges of the hieght fields then
sizing them appropriately so the raised edges meet up. The top one has a granite
and sperical pattern to get the raised or sunk look for the puddles.

I will have to have a go at this but fear it may take me the 70 odd days to the
deadline to work it out ;-)

Thanks

Sean