POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : basaltic columns : Re: basaltic columns Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:21:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: basaltic columns
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 5 Jun 2013 11:10:01
Message: <web.51af549fe9c4aeff81c811d20@news.povray.org>
"s.day" <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote:
> Working on an entry for tc-rtc, I am not entirely pleased at the moment
> (although not sure how to improve the image).
>
> I think I am just not totally happy with most things..
>
> The breaking wave (media) is not really how I would like it but am not sure how
> to improve it.
>
> The columns would ideally be more random in shape (not a problem) but if I make
> them more random in shape I then cannot get them to stack together close enough
> to make them realistic. The compromise is these rather too uniform columns.
>
> For some reason my texture applied to the sea to provide the breaking/foam near
> the rocks does not blend/fade very well in the z direction, it seems to just
> stop (maybe at the intersections of each height field). I expect I am doing
> something wrong here but have not tracked down the issue yet.
>
> The sky is not how I want it yet but again am struggling, may have to switch to
> media clouds I guess instead of stacked planes..
>
> Sean

Since you want to basaltic columns, if you want to randomize them a bit more,
you probably still want a general six-sidded shape.

One way you can do this is:
1. Generate a hexagonal array of points at the average offset/size you want
2. Apply a random small x and y offset to each
3. creat prisms based on a voronoi tesselation of the points
- for each point, find the distance and direction to each of its 6 neighbours
- for each of these pairs, create a plane at the exact midpoint, and
perpendicular to the direction vector
- you will have 6 vertical planes for each point, create a CSG intersection of
the 6 planes (plus a top height plane).
- this should result in having a six sided array with no gaps, bu the hexagons
won't be perfect hexagons

The next difficult step is determining hor to make rounded or chamfered edges to
these shapes if you want.

The attached image shows the general result, though I didn't do the full steps
above, I just creeated an array of spheres based on steps 1 and 2 above with no
CSG, which gives the same visual effect viewed from above.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'blocks.png' (50 KB)

Preview of image 'blocks.png'