POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Elements of Geology 3 : Re: Elements of Geology 3 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:28:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Elements of Geology 3
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 4 Jun 2013 14:10:01
Message: <web.51ae2ced7efef09c826ce7c10@news.povray.org>
> On 3-6-2013 21:20, Samuel Benge wrote:
> > Since springtime has come I've been hiking the hills. I just discovered that our
> > area produces opalescent quartz, some of it flawless (but very small). So I've
> > been searching for a good source, but the geology of our area has spread the
> > bedrock around quite a bit before actually pushing the stuff up to the surface.
> > The logging trails also confuse the matter.
>
> Interesting. Sources may be difficult to find as the geology in your
> area is rather complex. Stream beds may not be a bad place to look I
> guess, not like gold placers of course, but in areas were some pebble
> size sorting has been active.

Fortunately there is a creek below the area in question; unfortunately the creek
receives poor sunlight in the afternoons, and is possessed with killer
mosquitoes. Which of course won't be stopping me >:) I need to take a screen box
and gold pan down there and go collecting. Even though panning for quartz is
pretty much pointless, there might be other minerals of higher mass which can be
separated in that manner. The presence of granite pegmatite, gneiss, and mica
schist gives me hope :)

Sam