POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More Lego Star Wars Minifigures : Re: More Lego Star Wars Minifigures Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Lego Star Wars Minifigures
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 3 Jun 2013 16:30:00
Message: <web.51acfc305cd1e997826ce7c10@news.povray.org>
"Reuben Pearse" <reu### [at] pearsecouk> wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> Thanks for the comments. I think the Lego models are *too* shiny. I started
> investigating sub-surface scattering, but didn't really get very far. I
> tried adding a finish that uses a subsurface setting, but it didn't seem to
> make any difference. I've probably got the settings wrong. Does SSS work
> when using HDR lighting?

POV's SSLT implementation does indeed work with radiosity, and by extension, HDR
lighting.

> I've uploaded the original version of a render of Qui-Gon Jinn to my
> website - I'm using POV-Ray v3.7 RC7
> http://www.pearse.co.uk/lego/models/qui-gonjinn/
>
> Perhaps you could take a look at how SSS could be applied?

Maybe somebody more experienced with SSLT can help you. I've only been running
Lego tests in Blender + Cycles, and SSS comes cheap compared to POV-Ray.

Check out these two renderings:

http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq199/stbenge/misc%20renders/LegoSet18m_48s.jpg
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq199/stbenge/misc%20renders/LegoSet8m_42s.jpg

Both were rendered in Cycles using beveling, SSS, radiosity, glossy (blurry)
reflections, and focal blur. (The render times were added to the file names.) As
you can see the SSS is barely noticeable, so maybe Trevor is right when he says
it may not be needed.

So perhaps the more important features you could be using are beveling, and
fresnel + glossy reflections.

Sam