POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More Lego Star Wars Minifigures : Re: More Lego Star Wars Minifigures Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:28:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Lego Star Wars Minifigures
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 2 Jun 2013 21:50:03
Message: <web.51abf52f5cd1e99711b13fda0@news.povray.org>
"Reuben Pearse" <reu### [at] pearsecouk> wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> Thanks for the comments. I think the Lego models are *too* shiny. I started
> investigating sub-surface scattering, but didn't really get very far. I
> tried adding a finish that uses a subsurface setting, but it didn't seem to
> make any difference. I've probably got the settings wrong. Does SSS work
> when using HDR lighting?
>
> I've uploaded the original version of a render of Qui-Gon Jinn to my
> website - I'm using POV-Ray v3.7 RC7
> http://www.pearse.co.uk/lego/models/qui-gonjinn/
>
> Perhaps you could take a look at how SSS could be applied?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Reuben

Not sure if SSS is really needed, LEGO figures are pretty hard, solid plastic.
That said, I agree that they may be a little too shiny, I would approach this by
toning down the reflectivity.  If you are using Fresnel with ior (which I would
recommend if you are not), try keeping your ior in the range between 2.0 and
3.0.

Yoda, or at least the ones I have seen, have a rubber head.  So this would need
to be quite a bit less shiny and reflective (maybe SSS could help a ltille on
this one)

-tgq