POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : An End? : Re: An End? Server Time
29 Apr 2024 13:28:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An End?
From: waggy
Date: 27 May 2013 11:40:01
Message: <web.51a37e1076c5c07f21be1230@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> Imagine if you painted a picture of a lion and showed it to an audience who
> not only have never seen a lion, but also have never tried painting a
> picture. You might get comments like "that oily, pigmented stuff is cool!"
> or "that's like when I painted my living room, except smaller and with more
> colors."
>
> Not that these comments aren't valid, but the audience is not challenged by
> your accomplishment and you are not challenged by your audience.

I think I see what you're getting at. I've never seen a five-legged rock lizard
from Aldebaron Prime, and I have never tried sculpting stone. Yet if I saw such
a sculpture, I would not think that it was like breaking stones for placement in
a garden wall, but more detailed.

Experienced sculptors may be able to comment on the technical execution of the
piece, but I could still consider it as any other artwork. Does it inspire a
narrative, tell a story to me? Does it "work" for its intended purpose? Does it
look like the sculptor even cares about the work, and by implication, the
subject?