POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Glass balls, via bullet physics : Re: Glass balls, via bullet physics Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:28:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glass balls, via bullet physics
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 26 May 2013 13:20:01
Message: <web.51a243e2628c53becbc083be0@news.povray.org>
> "Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > Lately I've been running tests with Blender 2.67. Awesome, awesome app. You can
> > easily shatter any object into Voronoi cells, and apply physics to them.
>
> I've seen some demos on youtube, it certainly is impressive... although the
> cells in the videos I saw seemed a little uniform to be completely realistic.

Uniform in size? One thing I learned is that the cells' sites can be based on a
child object's vertices or particles. So if you have some tiny spheres parented
to a larger cube, the cube can be broken up based on points from the spheres.
The cells' grouping can be easily controlled in this manner, and you won't end
up with a bunch of like-sized objects.

> I intend to get to grips with Blender at some point, but I feel I'll need a few
> days solid work to really consolidate the basics, especially since I've not
> really tried any triangle modellers properly before. I just can't seem to find
> the time at the moment! The bullet playground at least is quite an easy tool to
> quickly fire up for simple piles of stuff. I'd like to try some animation with
> it too.

Blender is definitely worth your time, whenever you can spare it. It really has
come a long way in recent years, and is valuable even if used only for its
modeling capabilities.

> I'd be interested to see your blender physics tests, as I'm sure others would
> too...!

I'll see what I can do :)

Sam