POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : An End? : Re: An End? Server Time
29 Apr 2024 13:33:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An End?
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 21 May 2013 13:10:01
Message: <web.519ba9eb76c5c07f81c811d20@news.povray.org>
The problem with a few of these items is that it is seen a 'competition':

This can possibly lead to a few things:
1. No sharing WIP, as other could take their ideas
2. Fewer comments, just mark and move on...
3. Poor attendance, as many may feel that they can't compete
4. Some seemingly lackluster entries, made just to get an entry in. (I want to
be careful here to distinguish between lackluster, and new-user vs advanced
user.)
5. There will be only 1 winner, and a few runners up or honourable mentions.
(which in turn leads to many of the above)

Presenting as a 'challenge' instead could be more engaging to users:
1. WIP is more vital to the development of the process"  (How am I doing? What's
missing. What working not/working.)
2. Helps lead to further development of user skills: they can learn by trying
and advice
3. Lead to development of the software: Users can learn to push the limits or
look where things can be added or improved in the software itself
4. Users may be more inclined to take part as they can get feedback and develop
and not feel pressured about being 'up against' the advanced users.

This is generally in the spirit of how P.B.I. works, but with a little more
focus and direction with periodic specific challenges.

I also see the "3D Render Lighting Challenge" as a bit of this model, as this is
how it has worked.  Also (previously, as it seems the initial moderator seems to
have moved away from it) there were many 'winners', a hall-of-fame type gallery
was put up of several chosen completed images.

Also when preseting a challenge, particular challenges can be keyed top certain
skills.  EG, the Lighting Challenge I mention primarily deals with a
pre-selected scene, which you are then responsible for lighting, so it tends to
help hone the users' lighting skills (though texturing can be just as important
for lighting).

Different challenge types can focus on or help towards certain areas: e.g.
lighting, texturing, modeling (CSG or mesh), scene building and framing, plus
many other that can help users develop skills in different manners.

Another similar example, is on some FLICKR groups a monthly challenge is set up,
where the previous months winner choses a theme for the next challenge.  The
theme is quite often very different in what will fit in the topic from specific
("Architecture" "Landscape" "Birds") to more general or abstract ("Purple"
"Winter") to different camera or composition  skills ("Low Light" "Low Angle"
"Square Format")

These are all just spit-ball ideas but hopefully help in putting something
together that can work.

-tgq