POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Date Palm : Re: Date Palm Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:22:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Date Palm
From: Kenneth
Date: 18 May 2013 18:30:01
Message: <web.5197fffe3578efe8c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
"OJD" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

Really beautiful and realistic; thanks for posting a full image and the ultra
close-up.

> the leaf is made from a difference of a sphere and 2 cylinders giving a curved
> slice of the top of the sphere. then it is differenced from itself scaled
> slightly larger. this gives a nice curved 'V' shaped leaf.

About the V-shape on the underside of the leaf: In my mind's eye, I can see how
intersecting a sphere with two cylinders would create that, by itself (I
think)--the two cylinders being larger in diameter than the sphere, with each
one aimed down at maybe 45-deg and from 'opposite sides' of the sphere.
What then does differencing that CSG object from itself do? I'm genuinely
curious. Maybe I'm overlooking an important detail in my mental picture.