POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Date Palm : Re: Date Palm Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Date Palm
From: OJD
Date: 17 May 2013 20:15:01
Message: <web.5196c7b33578efe84b64393e0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "OJD" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > looking for some feed back on a date palm macro I'm working on.
> > -manual bounding of branches and leaves gave a 350% speed increase.
>
> Wow! That's interesting to know. I don't understand how or why it works, though.
> I would assume that auto-bounding would give the best speed(?) unless there are
> difference/merge CSG objects present.

the leaf is made from a difference of a sphere and 2 cylinders giving a curved
slice of the top of the sphere. then it is differenced from itself scaled
slightly larger. this gives a nice curved 'V' shaped leaf.

now the thin slice left after the initial difference is much smaller than the
auto bounding boxes created as they want to cover all the objects in the
difference. compound this with using the shape many times in close proximity
causes many overlapping bounding boxes with the majority of the intersection
tests failing (only about .04% succed)]

after manual bounding, the intersection test success ratio goes way up with a
much smaller number of tests performed.

----------

here is a test image from earlier stage of development.
 the twisting is a bit radical... lol
 many changes were made since this render:
- textures are better
- branch tips are better. filled in the empty v shape.
- leaf was redone
- elevations of branches are much more realistic by adding the tan()
- branches near the top are shorter than the side branches

but this gives you a better view of the thing.

renderer is busy with a long test but will get an updated version rendered in a
day or so.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'palm2.png' (676 KB)