POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Date Palm : Re: Date Palm Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Date Palm
From: Kenneth
Date: 17 May 2013 16:30:01
Message: <web.5196928e3578efe8c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
"OJD" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> looking for some feed back on a date palm macro I'm working on.
> -manual bounding of branches and leaves gave a 350% speed increase.

Wow! That's interesting to know. I don't understand how or why it works, though.
I would assume that auto-bounding would give the best speed(?) unless there are
difference/merge CSG objects present.

> trees as rendered called with below settings
>
> // scale, rotate, trans, height, trnk width, trnk crv amt, num of palms, palm
> twist base, palm twist increment, dead hangers, num of dates, rnd seed

A *long* macro entry! But obviously necessary. I have a model of my own --my
'generic human' CSG model --that I was thinking of recoding for animation, as a
macro. It would probably require this many macro entries and more, for all the
joint rotations. I had not attempted it for just that reason-- as seemingly a
rather cumbersome macro to use -- but it's nice to know that someone else is
using more than just a few parameters, when necessary. So I guess a lengthy
macro is not such a foreign concept after all. Your set-up inspires me. :-)

I really like your image, the palm fronds look quite nice and realistic. I'd
love to see a close-up.