POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lantern scene : Re: Lantern scene Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:26:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lantern scene
From: s day
Date: 29 Apr 2013 17:10:00
Message: <web.517ee078202f81d9bbd3eafb0@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Sean Day <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote:
> > I wanted to put something outside the window on my lantern scene so
> > added my attempt at flowers to it. I think I prefer the view without the
> > flowers but figured I would post this one anyway..
> >
> > The radiosity quality is pretty low on this one so there are a few
> > artifacts around the lantern base.
>
> I do like the one without the flowers better compostionally.  The flowers are
> quite large and bright and distract attention from the lantern.
>
> There does appear to be a little conflict in the lighting.  The lamp itself and
> its reflections give the appearance of daylight through a window, yet in the
> background window it is pitch black.  Though not explicitly obvious at first
> glance, my brain subconciously is aware of it.
> You may want to explore the scene level lighting a bit in this to give a more
> congruent appearance.  One thought, if you want some background through the
> windows, is a moonlit night, which will give an opportunity for some subtle
> backlighting.  However you would need to decide how best to approach the
> behind-the-camera lighting and reflection shading on the lantern which give it
> the nice highlighting.
>
> -tgq

Wow! I am impressed... The lighting in this and the lantern scene without
anything through the window is not only coming from the lantern light but also
from a low level HDR probe:

sphere { 0, 1
  pigment{
    image_map{ hdr "building_probe.hdr" once
               map_type 1 interpolate 2}
      }
      finish { emission 0.425 }
      scale 500 hollow no_image
      rotate <0,-40,0> //
}

My reason for adding this was that there is nothing else in the scene other than
a wall containing a window to hold the lantern and pulley, I figured having a
low level HDR probe would add something to the reflections etc.

Of course when I put objects outside the window they are also lit by the HDR
sphere. To continue the effect of darkness outside I had to adjust the colours
of the building that is slightly visible behind the flowers in this scene as
they were way to bright for night time.

I thought I would have fooled everyone with this so 10 out of 10 for noticing
something odd.

Sean