POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : flying police car WIP : Re: flying police car WIP Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:18:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: flying police car WIP
From: Kenneth
Date: 29 Apr 2013 02:55:00
Message: <web.517e17bdbc86cdec2d977c20@news.povray.org>
"s.day" <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote:

> Nice model, I assume the muffler is the bit at the back towards the bottoms, if
> not how did you do that shape in CSG?

It's another sPatch bicubic mesh. (I wouldn't have any clue how to make that
same shape using CSG!!) I still like using sPatch; it's an *old* app and with a
few quirks; but it has a very simple interface, to build objects point-by-point.
It does only one thing--no bells and whistles--but that's a welcome relief from
the usual (and generally complex) 'application that does everything.'

> As several people have already pointed out, I would go for a blob for
> the window
> surround, I tend to always use blobs for this kind of modelling (unless I can
> workout a good spline path for a sphere_sweep). If you can workout the spline
> (not one of my strong points) then a sphere sweep would be best.

I have to admit that working with blobs has never been my strong point; it's
been years since I tried them! But I need to re-educate myself--they seem to be
a really powerful modelling tool. (Especially after seeing Nekar Zeno's
wonderful recent 'melting blob-men' image, of his jazz musicians.)

The spline requirement for the sphere_sweep is indeed a tricky thing to come up
with (re: my particular windshield outline.) What I imagine is that the spline
might not end up exactly following the correct curve. But that's just
theorizing; I should give it a chance, to see what happens.