POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gancaloon: Old City street new version : Re: Gancaloon: Old City street new version Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:31:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gancaloon: Old City street new version
From: s day
Date: 15 Apr 2013 19:15:01
Message: <web.516c897e9de2f64935d4f6d0@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> >> Rendered with version 3.7, so, ambient get automativaly turned OFF as
> >> soon as radiosity is activated.
> >> You can tell it use version 3.7 when you see double values after count
> >> and nearest_count, as well as the presance of maximum_reuse.
> >>

> >> Alain
> >
> > If you have heard the saying ignorance is bliss, then I must be very happy ;-)
> >
> > I have not tried the new double values on 3.7 do they make much difference to
> > performance? (always looking for ways to speed up a render).
> >
> > Sean
> >

> The second value for count set a larger direction pool for the radiosity
> sampling. It should not have any important effect on the speed, but can
> affect the quality. In some cases, it allow you to use a smaller count
> value, making the render faster. If used, it MUST be larger than the
> first value. Those who use it seems to tend to use a value at least 10
> times larger than the first one.
>
> The double nearest_count can affect the quality and the speed. The first
> value set the maximum bound to be used in areas where the samples have
> more variation. The second value is the minimal value to be used in
> areas where everything is prety uniform, like a large, plain wall.
>
> maximim_reuse set the largest distance any sample can be reused. It's
> grosly a ratio of the width ov the scene.
>
> If you use a smaller pretrace_end value, you often can do with more
> relaxed settings elsewhere. The default of  0.04 is often much to large,
> I usualy use 0.01 or 0.005. low_error_factor also play a large role in
> reducing the sampling done during the final trace and a small value can
> greatly reduce artefacts on multi-core systems. Keep it at or under the
> default value of 0.5.
>

> Alain

Wow, thanks Alain, you have just supercharged the radiosity gathering stage of
my renders. I need to do a comparisson for quality, I usually run a no focal
blur/AA render to gather the radiosity data then reload this data with pretrace
set to 1. The radiosity render was running at about 5 hours and with these
settings is now taking about 7 minutes!

Will run the final high quality trace now to see if it looks as good as my 5
hour trace. Oh the hours I have wasted ;-)

Sean