POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fruit flavours : Re: Fruit flavours Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:30:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fruit flavours
From: Aydan
Date: 21 Mar 2013 08:55:02
Message: <web.514b027f7fe64ed43771cd8e0@news.povray.org>
[SNIP]
> *Nobody* is ever going to do that for a Raspberry Pi. It takes something
> as complex as Linux to power it.
Not true, have a look at
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/freshers/raspberrypi/tutorials/os/
> Similarly, with the C64 you can write a few POKE commands and watch the
> screen turn green or hear a sound play or something.
> The GPU on the
> Raspberry Pi are closed-source; you need to sign an NDA just to see what
> registers it has! Nobody is going to be experimenting with that anytime
> soon.
The GPU itself is closed source just as the GPU in your PC is.
Well, the Linux API is open so you do have a way to poke it and also the
framebuffer is available for bare metal programmers, AKAIK.
> So, yes, it's a small hand-held computer with Python on it. But it's
> basically a normal PC, but smaller and cheaper. The fact that it's a
> bare PCB doesn't make it any more inviting to tinkering or whatnot.
Does your PC have GPIO pins that you can access by simply writing '1' or '0' to
a file? I thought not. The Pi is the cheapest and easiest way to do physical
computing.

> I suspect most kids are being to be really disinterested in this thing.
There's actually a lot of kids writing their own stuff either in scratch or in
python.

> Now, the big kids who should know better? They might find this
> interesting...

Regards
Aydan