POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : old lantern : Re: old lantern Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:27:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: old lantern
From: s day
Date: 21 Mar 2013 07:50:00
Message: <web.514af386985589668f98288b0@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:

> > Trying to age my lantern, HDR seems to look better with new shiny
> > objects though...
> >

>    Very nice modeling... proportions look perfect, with all the tiny
> details at the correct scale. Lighting is very good too... I cannot see
> any obvious artifacts. Texturing on the paint is also impressive, but
> the rusty parts look like too reflective... I guess you didn't go for a
> texture_map?
>
> --
> Jaime

Hi Jaime,

Thanks, the model is CSG, my preferred method (really the only one I can do). It
does get tricky when you want to model an organic shape though (next I need to
try to add a tiger lily to the scene I am using this in which may be too much
for my CSG skills though..

Lighting is the building_probe or Overcast Breezeway, Soda Hall from
http://www.pauldebevec.com/Probes/

The texture consists of several layered textures in a texture map it is about
200 lines long so I will add a new post for this but it consist of 3 transparent
dirt textures (light/mid and very dirty). Then 3 textures one for paint one for
paint that is bubbling up a bit and one for rust.

I then created 3 copies of each of these textures one with each level of dirt
texture layered over it.

I then created 3 identical texture map with each one using the different levels
of dirt.

then I could use these texture maps in another texture map with a gradient to
transition from clean to dirty textures for each part of the lantern.

Apologies in advance for the complete lack of comments in my code (I always have
fun trying to go back and edit my old scenes..)

Sean