POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : An End? : Re: An End? Server Time
2 May 2024 00:29:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An End?
From: MichaelJF
Date: 17 Mar 2013 14:55:01
Message: <web.514610dc76c5c07fa7c263780@news.povray.org>

Your ideas are fine, but I fear for this the website has to be renewed
completely. This could only be done by Colin, who seems to be a ghost last
years. Especially since he forgot to invoice. Since now only nine persons met
this discussion here. Adding Normand from the discussion at the TC-Forum we have
ten persons interested. That is not much. Only seven of them had entered the
competition so far. So why we want to have a competition?

The topics are generating ideas, but to speak for myself: I have a sketch-book
full of ideas for images. Some of them came from old IRTC topics but most from
things I experienced in RL or from my own imagination. So I don't need a contest
to generate ideas for images.

To speak a little bit in behalf of Normand. Sometimes he was accused here not
using POV, which is true. But as all I understood he uses a self-made
Java-Environment and Open-GL to render his pictures, which is still free
software and IMO the same as if he would use an other free 3D software like
Blender or may be AoI. So please do not blame him for this. No one seems to have
used AoI within TC so far, but there is at least one winner with a Blender
picture (Manuela with her wonderful "`Monsieur Dupont"'). As we POVers Normand
uses free software too. The only contributor to TC who uses professional
software is Ives (3 DS max which is some 3500 Euro licence fee if he had not a
campus licence).

But to come to a conclusion. Within more than a week now, only nine persons were
interested in this topic. That is not much. So I propose to await the results of
the "woman" round now. This is a very open topic and should yield a lot of
entries if the topic is really a reason. I decided to postpone my Freya idea a
bit and go for finishing my intended entry for the "Garden" round instead. So I
have to render occlusion maps for Ariadne herself, but Stephen will be pleaed by
it ;-)

If the "woman"-round yields only a small amount of entries, I would consider
ending the contest. What topic should yield more pictures? But the decision is
with Thomas and Stephen finally.

Best regards,
Michael