POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : HDRI settings : Re: HDRI settings Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:22:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDRI settings
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 8 Mar 2013 14:00:03
Message: <web.513a3429e61012b478641e0c0@news.povray.org>
> Am 08.03.2013 18:52, schrieb Cousin Ricky:
> > You know, it's really, really difficult to find truly diffuse metallic objects.
> > There are plenty of objects with highly blurred reflection, but not blurred
> > enough for me to consider "diffuse."  The only satisfactory examples I can find
> > have no curved surfaces and are nailed to the wall.  It's hard to examine
> > reflective effects of such objects.
>
> Let alone that such diffuse-looking specimen of metal typically don't
> really have a metallic surface anymore, but a metal oxide one.
>
> Sintered metal does seem to do the trick though, depending on how porous
> it is - sintered metal filters, for instance. Judging from images found
> on the internet, I'd guestimate such materials to exhibit a brilliance
> of 1.0 - or maybe even lower.

What I've found are:
  - a galvanized plate--my guess is the back plate of an electrical outlet
    box that was never installed
  - brass shelf structures, no patina
  - shelf supports of probably aluminum or white metal.

My windows have non-specular metal louvers, but the surface finish is absolutely
non-metallic.

In places other than my home, I've seen railings, plumbing fittings, and
(possibly) door handles that fit the bill.