POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : HDRI settings : Re: HDRI settings Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:27:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDRI settings
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 8 Mar 2013 11:55:08
Message: <web.513a17a6e61012b478641e0c0@news.povray.org>
> With metallic surfaces you do not have any scattering within the
> material - instead, any diffuse-style reflection is the result of
> repeated specular reflection at a very clustered surface. I wouldn't be
> surprised if this indeed results in quite different characteristics. My
> first guess, however, would be that those characteristics would be more
> faithfully modelled with a very rough specular highlight, rather than a
> high-brilliance diffuse term.

You may be right.  I just had a look at some diffuse metallic surfaces, and the
effect I attributed to brilliance depends on viewing angle.  That is highly
suggestive of a very broad highlight, rather than diffuse reflection.

Of course, to model this requires S+P > R, because for a diffuse surface, R = 0!
This requires more thought and experimentation.