POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : HDRI settings : Re: HDRI settings Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDRI settings
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 8 Mar 2013 01:10:05
Message: <web.51397e2fe61012b478641e0c0@news.povray.org>
> Most diffuse surfaces have a brilliance quite close to 1.0. (Aside from
> that, radiosity doesn't currently support brilliance settings other than
> 1.0 anyway.)

What about metallic surfaces?  Is there a typical value?  I find that 2.5 to 3.0
makes a good metallic impression on surfaces with low specular reflection.

> By the way, when defining new materials it is good practice to use the
> "albedo" keyword for all diffuse, specular and phong, as this allows to
> employ a few rules that help you get realistic results (not only in
> HDR-lit scenes):
>
>    diffuse albedo D
>    specular albedo S
>    phong albedo P
>    reflection { R fresnel }
>
> For realism, you usually want D+R<1 and S+P<R, with S+P=R/2 being a good
> guesstimate.

Wait, what?

I was under the impression that S+P should be equal to R, at least for polished
surfaces.  Is this the case with metallic reflection, or does it only apply to
non-metallic variable reflection (such as, I presume, bright red enamel paint)?

I was mere hours away from uploading years of work on metallic finishes to the
Object Collection, and I need to know if I'm about to make any embarrassing
blunders.