POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : HDRI settings : Re: HDRI settings Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDRI settings
From: s day
Date: 7 Mar 2013 13:20:01
Message: <web.5138d979e61012b47a68f4440@news.povray.org>

Firstly thanks a lot clipka, a very thorough answer and well explained, I read
somewhere that for HDR diffuse should be set to 1 (hence my mistake), the rest I
think I changed so many settings that I just ended up totally confused.

I did add a light_source but only as the HDR image was not looking good so I
added a low level light source, I have removed that now though.

I also tried albedo but without the correct settings etc I don't think I would
have ever got a good render.

I initially set error_bound to 0.8 but had so many artifacts it looked like an
oil painting (an interesting effect but not what I was after). I just copied the
radiosity settings from an old image that did not use HDR then started
tweaking...

I had assumed_gamma in a separate global_settings section but other than that
being correct most other things were not so good ;-)

I have re-rendered with the following changes below:

pretrace_end 0.001 (don't know if this is too far, certainly slowed down the
pretrace step).
error_bound 0.8
recursion_limit 2
brightness 1.0

removed the gamma from the sky_sphere
left emission at rgb 0.6 // will try tweaking this though.

For the finish
set specular to 0
set brilliance to 1
changed the settings to diffuse albedo 0.6 reflection { 0.2 fresnel }

Two more questions though..

1) Is variable reflection advised for most objects, I have previously only used
this for glass/water?

2) Without specular does roughness have an effect on the surface?

As you can see your advice has helped a lot, this is much better than any of my
previous attempts.

Thanks

Sean

Post a reply to this message