POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Improving etched pyramids : Re: Improving etched pyramids Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improving etched pyramids
From: kmcpeak
Date: 17 Feb 2013 06:35:00
Message: <web.5120bf587ee002795d9b06ae0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "kmcpeak" <kmc### [at] ethzch> wrote:
>

> > After some movement of the lights and adding bumps to the etch pits attached is
> > my latest best effort. Might stop here...
> >

> That's looking almost perfect. Well done, really.
>
> But don't stop yet ;-)  It's always the last 5% of the work (or maybe the last
> 1%!) that really 'sells' a computer graphics rendering. And that's usually the
> most difficult and hair-pulling part, because the final tweaking is so subtle at
> this stage.
>
> The *only* thing I would say is that the bright parts of the indents don't have
> quite enough 'tonality' or fading-to-darkness as they recede into the pits. Your
> lights code looks right, so I'm thinking that the gradient y pigment might be
> scaled too deeply into the surface (in other words, fading to black somewhere
> *below* the bottom of the pits.) OR, maybe try reducing the diffuse value in the
> finish. Which will naturally make the SURFACE darker too, of course ;-/  Yet
> more tweaking...
>
> But the result will be worth it!

Thanks for the encouragement Kenneth! I will keep plugging away. One issue
regarding the pigment gradient is that not all the pyramids have the same y
value for the bottom of their pit. So I struggled finding the *best* value since
it worked for some but not all. Do you see any way around that?

Alain, I will also give the orthographic camera a shot, thanks for that
suggestion.

Kevin