POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Improving etched pyramids : Re: Improving etched pyramids Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:18:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improving etched pyramids
From: Kenneth
Date: 16 Feb 2013 16:10:01
Message: <web.511ff54a7ee00279c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
"kmcpeak" <kmc### [at] ethzch> wrote:

> I used a transform to bring the top of the silicon surface to y = 0. This
> helped me figure out the pigment_map. Attached is my latest effort. I think
> I need to move the lights a bit but overall this is way way better than
> where I started.

Hey, that's looking *much* better.

I think (as you say) that the light positions are still not quite right. It
looks like they are 'diagonal' to the object, and still too close to it. In my
own tests, those light positions turned out to be rather critical, to change the
'bumps' into 'indents.' Try placing them exactly left-and-right to the object,
really far away, and maybe lower in y(?). (And no fade-power, of course.) With
some more experimentation, you'll probably find the 'sweet spot' for those
lights.