POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Improving etched pyramids : Re: Improving etched pyramids Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:15:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improving etched pyramids
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 13 Feb 2013 15:10:01
Message: <web.511bf2787ee00279f206134e0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> There's something intrinsic to electron microscope and SEM images that might
> make recreating the look with a 'standard' lighting setup difficult.

Things I have observed about SEM images (two of which you just covered):
  - surfaces typically become brighter near the edges (AOI-like effects)
  - nothing has a definite shadow, probably because the electron source isn't a
pinpoint
  - objects seem translucent, or like glowing firewood

It's that translucent appearance that is the missing factor in most faux SEM
images, I think. Careful use of a proximity pattern might just work.

Sam