POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another tweak towards realism : Re: Another tweak towards realism Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:26:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another tweak towards realism
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 11 Feb 2013 19:10:00
Message: <web.5119873a3700b46f78641e0c0@news.povray.org>
> Two polished spheres with fresnel reflection (at an ior of 1.5),
> illuminated from a single light source (behind and above the camera),
> with radiosity enabled.
>
> Quiz:
>
> One of these spheres is physically wrong. Can you spot the problem?

The one on the right looks like it reflects the sky more realistically.

I have long noticed that conserve_energy does not have any effect on opaque
objects, although that seemed strange to me.  Shouldn't whatever light that is
reflected by the Fresnel effect not be reflected by other means?  So I'm going
to guess that the left sphere is Fresnel reflection as of 3.7.RC6, and you're
applying conserve_energy to Fresnel reflection on the right sphere.