POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Improving etched pyramids : Re: Improving etched pyramids Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:12:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improving etched pyramids
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 10 Feb 2013 22:05:00
Message: <web.51185f4b7ee0027978641e0c0@news.povray.org>
"kmcpeak" <kmc### [at] ethzch> wrote:
> Anyway, below is the POV ray code I am currently using (I didn't include the
> mesh, it is really big - I can send it to you if you ask). I would like to make
> the POV ray image look more 3D, more specifically I would like the pyramids to
> look like they go into the surface whereas now most people think they come out
> of the surface. The microscopy image does a good job of this.
>
> I have explored different light positions (and multiple ones)) and lots of
> different finish attributes but nothing is really working very well. Your help
> is most appreciated.

Have you tried positioning the light source above the scene?  (I've noticed that
Martian craters tend to look like bumps when the Sun is below the image.)

E.g. light_source { <200,250,0> ... }

P.S. area_light doesn't gain you anything as this scene is, although that might
change if you make the scene more complex.