POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Underwater light beams - but how? : Re: Underwater light beams - but how? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Underwater light beams - but how?
From: MichaelJF
Date: 2 Feb 2013 12:15:01
Message: <web.510d48ca3ef91f01c0d93a4f0@news.povray.org>
"Raymond Tracer" <mik### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> "MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> > "Raymond Tracer" <mik### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> >
> >  A very good reference is
> >
> > http://images.povcomp.com/entries/extras/161/161_source.zip
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Michael
>
> With respect, I wasn't saying that underwater light beams were impossible, I was
> wondering how they could possibly come from a light source with media
> interaction set to "off". If you know why, could you say so explicitly, for the
> benefit of future generations, or call me a twit for missing the obvious (and
> then explain why it's obvious). :)

Certainly I will not call you a twit. Underwater scenes are a real challenge. I
just posted the link to the sources of the best underwater scene I know. In fact
I'm working at the same issue at the moment. There is an other scene by Glenn
McCarter, IRTC April 2009, which is not available to the public at the moment,
but I have stored it in time. Since it is published under a cc-license I can
mail you the code in private - if you are interested. But light sources within a
media without media interaction can only lighten up the whole scene but cannot
give rays of lighting. I really propose to study the code of Johnny Yip closely
(which is a litlle bit difficult, I admit). It will answer a lot of your
questions I think.

Best regards,
Michael