POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Hollow sphere, filled with shperes : Re: Hollow sphere, filled with shperes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hollow sphere, filled with shperes
From: Kenneth
Date: 26 Jan 2013 17:15:01
Message: <web.51045407b1946347c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
William F Pokorny wrote:

"...as any given rotated cube would fit inside a sphere with a radius of
magnitude equal to the distance from the cube's center to one of its
corners. In other words, you could put arbitrarily rotated cubes inside
each of your placed spheres and they would not intersect, so long as
your spheres did not intersect."

Yeah, this was part of my own attack on the general problem, in my recent
'meteor' animation. It's the only way I could think of to deal with the constant
(and random) rotations of all the meteors. I didn't fully work out the details,
though...

And Clipka wrote:

"Not a formula, but an algorithm:... [clip]
Note that this only works for cubes, not for generic boxes."

It's the *randomly-scaled* meteors in my scene that (I think) are the root cause
of the problem I ran into. Had all the meteors been the same size, my algorithm
would probably have worked. I need to re-write how/when my code performs its
intersection comparisons. It's beginning to look not-too-difficult.

I'm following this thread with great interest!