POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Withdrawal from the Internet : Re: Withdrawal from the Internet Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Withdrawal from the Internet
From: Kenneth
Date: 23 Jan 2013 05:55:01
Message: <web.50ffc03a79f58f0c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg_=27Yadgar=27_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> In fact, my most severe addiction (or better, compulsion as it gives me
> not even short-time positive feelings of satisfaction, only mental pain)
> is googling several times a day for the catchwords "sin" or "hell", to
> land up on Christian fundamentalist websites telling me that I, as a
> homosexual unbeliever, am heading straight towards a place and state
> infinitely worse than Auschwitz!

I think the best thing to do would be to see the humor(!) in those
fundamentalist sites. "Finding humor in things" has always been my motto--it
keeps me sane in a crazy world.

I grew up in Virginia in the US--which is one of the States near the 'deep
South', where Christian fundamentalism has its biggest base. My early years were
religiously oriented (by my family.) I'm a non-believer now; but it took a
*great* deal of effort and time, on my part, to 'break away' from what I
considered to be a fear-based, closed view of the world. It wasn't easy here
(and still isn't); the great majority of people (even friends of mine) are
Christian-oriented. And the common thread *I* see is fear. Christianity itself
is probably not to blame; but it seems to me that fundamentalism and fear go
hand-in-hand. As others have commented, it would be best for you to stay away
from the fundamentalist websites, as a first step. (I wish I could convince the
people I know to do the same.)

BTW, I wouldn't be too upset that you haven't had many visits to your own
website (if that's the case.) You're probably in very good company! ;-) The web
has so *many* sites to choose from--even POV-Ray oriented sites--that I rarely
get a chance to re-visit them as much as I would like. That doesn't mean I/we
are not interested, it's probably just the result of limited time, or having
other pursuits. I know it can be frustrating to 'create' something, and then
have little interest in it from others. But my own philosophy about creativity
(for what it's worth) is this: The FUN of creativity itself is its own reward.
If others like it, great! If not, that's OK too. That doesn't change the
'reason' for the creativity. It should basically be a self-fulfilling and fun
pursuit, first and foremost--good for the creative juices and self-esteem.
Nothing wrong what that!