POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Civilian control of the military in the US : Re: Civilian control of the military in the US Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:25:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Civilian control of the military in the US
From: Kenneth
Date: 21 Jan 2013 09:05:01
Message: <web.50fd4a4718fe9126c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
US President Dwight Eisenhower is an interesting case, following World War 2.
(He was the 'supreme' Allied military commander during the war.)

Here's what Wikipedia says:

"In 1948, Eisenhower became President of Columbia University...Approximately six
months after his installation, he became the informal chairman of the Joint
Chiefs of Staff at the Pentagon..."

"As the 1948 [US presidential] election approached, Eisenhower was repeatedly
urged by prominent citizens from both parties nationwide to run for President.
[Then-]President Truman even approached him, offering to serve as his
Vice-President if he would agree to run as President. [Eisenhower didn't do so
at the time, merely for personal reasons.]

"In December 1950, he took leave from the university to become the Supreme
Commander of NATO, and was given operational command of NATO forces in
Europe....in June 1952 he resigned his command at NATO to campaign
full-time....Eisenhower retired from active [military] service on May 31, 1952,
and resumed the university presidency, which he held until January 1953." [I.e.,
until his inauguration as President.]

It's not clear if Eisenhower was *continuously* on military active-duty prior to
his Presidency. But what this tells me is that there might be an 'unspoken
political rule' concerning the President having to relinquish his active-duty
status, as a prerequisite to holding the office. (Otherwise, the high public
*and* political opinions of Eisenhower at the time would have thrust him into
the Presidency, no questions asked.)

I can't think of an historical example of a military-man-as-President. (Not even
George Washington, although I could be wrong.) But apparently it might be
possible(?)