POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This week's WTF moment : Re: This week's WTF moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:30:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This week's WTF moment
From: Kenneth
Date: 17 Jan 2013 23:25:00
Message: <web.50f8cd995f80c8e0c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
> This might end the controversy:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/creative-suite-2-activation-end-life.html

That's the first time I've seen it (just tonight.) Was it put up before the
controversy, or after? I'm wondering, because it's worded in English in the
'past tense.'

I've re-read it several times, and I still can't quite understand what Adobe is
trying to say.

This part isn't clear (to me):
"But to ensure that any customers activating those old versions can continue to
use their software, Adobe issued a serial number directly to those customers.
While it could be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, Adobe did
it to help its customers."

By "directly to those customers", does Adobe mean via personal email or
something like that? Or do they mean the serial number(s) that are posted on the
current download page? If the latter, then "directly to those customers" has no
meaning--at least in the sense that they imply (or hope to imply), because the
numbers are there for *all* to see and use now.

While the statement does read *somewhat* like an attempt to steer people away
from the site who don't belong there, it also seems like no more that a
'half-hearted' attempt. It amazes me that this statement isn't worded
differently, to be more clear-cut and unequivocal. It would have been so easy to
do-- "Do not download it otherwise", or some such wording. Adobe needs better
writers, at the very least. Of course, no such changes have occurred, in any
form. So the overarching question is, WHY NOT?