POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : smooth mesh outline artifacts fix : Re: smooth mesh outline artifacts fix Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: smooth mesh outline artifacts fix
From: Kenneth
Date: 9 Jan 2013 07:00:01
Message: <web.50ed5b61cb9618f0c2d977c20@news.povray.org>

> Those artifacts can be avoided with a patch...

That's quite amazing.

I had always thought that these kinds of anomalies were 'unfixable'--a natural
consequence of the smooth_triangle normals at the edges of objects. (As in 2.4.8
in the docs, "The shadow line artifact.") The only *partial* solution I've ever
found (which has been noted in the past) is the use of 'double_illuminate.' But
that was always kind of a kludge.

Your patch would be *most* welcome!! Nice work.