POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Hobbit and high framerate : Re: The Hobbit and high framerate Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:29:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Hobbit and high framerate
From: Kenneth
Date: 6 Jan 2013 08:40:01
Message: <web.50e97cd6ee12d338c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> The original book is for children...

Ooh, I disagree. I didn't read the book until I was an older adult, and it just
seemed *spot on* as to style and characterization. I never felt like it was
talking down to me, or that it was 'juvenile', so to speak. I also got a real
kick out of its droll humor. And, (at odds with the movie), Bilbo comes across
as a rather quiet and somewhat serious 'everyman'--if a bit eccentric--lacking
the overly-comic traits that are way overused by his film counterpart. If
anything, it seems to me that the film itself is more aimed at the kiddies than
the book is. Yet it does have a playful atmosphere, certainly more so than the
darker and more serious LOTR trilogy (which I've actually never read.)

> I also think that it has something to do with motion blur. When you film
> something at 24 FPS, when there's rapid movement each frame gets more
> motion blur than if you film it at 48 FPS. Thus it makes the movie look
> sharper, but whether that's a *good* thing is another question. "Less
> motion blur" does not automatically mean "looks better" to the human
> brain.

Yeah, I agree completely. It's interesting that in the article you mentioned (or
in one of its links), the film's director/cinematographer/effects supervisor all
have the opinion that motion-blur is a *bad* thing, to be eliminated.
Personally, I think that's ill-advised. If we hadn't already had a century of
films to look at (at 24fps), and 48fps filmmaking arrived full-blown on a naive
public, maybe we would all *hate* motion blur; but that legacy has helped form
our overall 'picture' of what films are supposed to look like, for better or
worse. Yet, I suppose that argument is essentially the same that lovers of
classical art once used, when 'modern art' came along after centuries of
representational painting: almost a visceral dislike of so radical a change.

Personally, I'm hoping that this 48fps 'experiment' goes no further than THE
HOBBIT--but we have two more installments to look forward to! :-/