POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Plenoptic camera : Re: Plenoptic camera Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:28:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plenoptic camera
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 1 Jan 2013 14:30:01
Message: <web.50e338c5899893d5617f86270@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:

> > My first attempt for this step used actual geometry, but too many artifacts were
> > produced, so I settled on this quick-to-parse, fast-to-render solution.
>
>    Yes, could work... I myself tried something similar with the camera
> normal, but was not getting the exact lens geometry I wanted (my maths
> are not soooo go), so I resorted to model it by hand on Wings3D: anyhow,
> I would be using it with the mesh camera #3, so it will smooth the
> normals and get ride of any triangle artifacts.

I'm not sure I would trust meshes for this task; in fact, I'm sure I wouldn't.
I've seen too many optical artifacts produced by "smooth" meshes. No matter how
precise vertex normals are, they can never overcome the fact that a mesh is
still a mesh. A mesh representation of a smooth shape will never intersect space
the way a purely mathematical shape does.

Of course, all that doesn't account for the fact that I used a plane and not
real geometry, but I had my reasons ;)