POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Please put back the command line error messages : Re: Please put back the command line error messages Server Time
17 May 2024 06:52:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Please put back the command line error messages
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 29 Dec 2012 10:05:01
Message: <web.50df05fef429d33b85de7b680@news.povray.org>
> Am 02.11.2012 17:50, schrieb Cousin Ricky:
> > POV-Ray 3.7 does not give sufficient information when there is an error on the
> > command line.  When I issue a line such as:
> >
> >     povray 'spine.ini[Atlas superior]' rainbow.ini
> >
> > I get back:
> >
> >     Problem with option setting
> >     povray spine.ini[Atlas superior] rainbow.ini
> >     Failed to parse command-line option
>
> Please try
>
>      povray '"spine.ini[Atlas superior]"' rainbow.ini

Thanks for the tip.  However, my point is that I shoudn't have to stare at the
command line for 5 or 10 minutes trying to figure out why the front end doesn't
like it.  The front end should give more information about what part of the
command line it failed to parse.

I just spent 20 minutes (no exaggeration) trying to figure out why a command
that worked just a few minutes earlier stopped working.  I tried retyping the
command, fooling around with quotation marks, changing the .ini file section,
and just plain staring before I figured out that I was in the wrong directory.
If the front end had reported that it couldn't find the .ini file, I would have
noticed my mistake in half a second.