POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Orthographic Decapitation : Re: The Orthographic Decapitation Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:19:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Orthographic Decapitation
From: gregjohn
Date: 15 Dec 2012 13:40:01
Message: <web.50ccc39bb526f5225474b7bd0@news.povray.org>
clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:>
> The whole reason for this effect is that the camera must shoot its rays
> from /somewhere/ - infinity won't work, as it's not a good value to do
> math on ;-). So the rays are shot from the plane going through the
> camera position and being perpendicular to the camera direction. If one
> of your figures sticks its head through this plane, the camera rays will
> hit (and thus see) only his inside, effectively decapitating him.

Thanks for the articulate explanation.  I still think the diagrams in the povray
camera docs drive me crazy: when I eventually figure out how to do some new
trick, it seems it was after I left a blind alley I was led to from my
presumptions about the picture of the angles, etc.

Anyway, this was an idea I saw at StackOverflow for sprites.  And this is the
one case where povray knocks all other apps flat for being able to make a bunch
of sprites at once.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'orthocam093_600.png' (375 KB)