POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Photon frenzy : Re: Photon frenzy Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:15:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon frenzy
From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 14 Dec 2012 06:40:01
Message: <web.50cb0f18f4b20914aa45fdf0@news.povray.org>
"Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:
> "Bruno Cabasson" <bru### [at] cabassoncom> wrote:
> > playing with (a lot of) photons, here is a recent render with a flint-glass
> > material, and an isosurface inspired from Mike William's tutorial
>
> Wow!  How long did that take?

I was playing on my small laptop, with a small AMD P920 quad-core @1.6. I took
about 6 hours, 74+ million surface photons were stored. I needed that many in
order to have smooth results in some areas where light is 'diluted'. If you
shoot too few photons, you don't event see caustics in cases like this ...

B.

PS: Thanks for the 'wow'.