POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : undersea adventure WIP : Re: undersea adventure WIP Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:25:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: undersea adventure WIP
From: MichaelJF
Date: 7 Dec 2012 13:10:01
Message: <web.50c2306bec525ca42166a87c0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> That's a great one! Very beautiful and realistic. For my own scene, I'm trying
> for more of a 'fantasy' look (kind of artificial), sort of what I *think* it
> should look like ;-) The whole scene has a fantasy feel to it--which my still
> shot doesn't really convey, as it's very early in the animation. Some funny
> things happen later, which throws realism out the window!

That lessens the call for reality here. My first impression was, that the
scattering is a little bit to strong or the water a little bit to clear.
something between this.

> > ...and a picture by Glenn McCarter from the IRTC-round April 2009 "Galleon's
> > Reef".
>
> I don't think I've seen that one (or don't remember it.) Is the image itself up
> online anywhere now?

No, I fear not. The IRTC-data are available for the period from 1996 to 2006
(there is still a link at www.irtc.org). There are some underwater scenes which
can still be rendered. But as you can imagine the artists were limited due to
the resources at this times. After 2006 the IRTC was on "hiatus" and had a short
revival 2009 and 2010. The images and sources of this second period seems to be
vanished from the net completelly. I have collected some of the first two rounds
but then was stopped due to the final death of the IRTC. I reconsidered my offer
to post Glenns code to the p-b-sf. I think it's not a good idea to post code
from others to the public even given with a cc-licence. But I hope your e-mail
account is working...

Best regards,
Michael