POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : undersea adventure WIP : Re: undersea adventure WIP Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:13:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: undersea adventure WIP
From: MichaelJF
Date: 5 Dec 2012 14:55:01
Message: <web.50bfa656ec525ca4990b7b0e0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> that limitation has been difficult!)
> >
> > I think that underwater scenes are very difficult to do because of this
> > interaction between media and object colours. If I am correct, this can
> > be rather extreme. The /natural/ colours lighted by the environment are
> > very subdued but when lighted by a lamp for instance, the colours become
> > very bright. I remember a scene by Jim Charter (shark) a couple of years
> > ago, which showed a nice render.
> >

> Yes! In real life, that does seem to be so. In my scene, when the spotlights
> impinge on interesting objects, they look quite colorful (and at the brightness
> level I want.) But trying to balance that against their 'unlit' look has been a
> real challenge, because of the atmospheric media and its intrinsic murkiness.
> (That's basically why I added emission media to the scattering media, to even
> things out a bit.)

I never dived, so I have no RL experience. The only comparisions I have are TV
documentations. But good renderings of underwater scenes are "The Guardian" by
Johnny Yip, the winner of the POVCOMP-Competition 2004 of course, and a picture
by Glenn McCarter from the IRTC-round April 2009 "Galleon's Reef". The source
for the first is still available (follow the links at the POVCOMP site). The
source for the second is lost, since the IRTC sources are only available now for
the first phase up to 2006. Glenn had published the sources 2009 and I still
have them. Fortunatelly he had published the sources under a cc-license, so if
you will have them I can put them into the p-b-sf.

Best regards,
Michael