POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : undersea adventure WIP : Re: undersea adventure WIP Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: undersea adventure WIP
From: Kenneth
Date: 4 Dec 2012 17:10:01
Message: <web.50be738aec525ca4c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
that limitation has been difficult!)

> I think that underwater scenes are very difficult to do because of this
> interaction between media and object colours. If I am correct, this can
> be rather extreme. The /natural/ colours lighted by the environment are
> very subdued but when lighted by a lamp for instance, the colours become
> very bright. I remember a scene by Jim Charter (shark) a couple of years
> ago, which showed a nice render.

Yes! In real life, that does seem to be so. In my scene, when the spotlights
impinge on interesting objects, they look quite colorful (and at the brightness
level I want.) But trying to balance that against their 'unlit' look has been a
real challenge, because of the atmospheric media and its intrinsic murkiness.
(That's basically why I added emission media to the scattering media, to even
things out a bit.)