POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Looking at cities again : Re: Looking at cities again Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:13:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Looking at cities again
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 3 Dec 2012 04:35:01
Message: <web.50bc71616615d26d5b7d07940@news.povray.org>
> <drool> That is coming along nicely indeed. What obvious question of
> course is: could you also use splines for the street plan? That would
> generate the pre-modern cities nicely I guess. [obsessive thought: I
> could use such a thing for Gancaloon] ;-)

True splines might be quite a bit of work, but if I improve the polygon-finding
to handle (N>4) sides then I could approximate curves using straight segments,
which would be handled automagically by the block macros. (Any future roads or
street furniture could use the true splines to hide the approximation).

Your Gancaloon city was one of the things that put me on this path, although as
yet it only works on a plane. Projecting the buildings up to a surface should be
straighforward, however. :-)

Don't drool too much, I have no civil amenities yet ;-)