POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : One Small Problem... (169kbbu) : Re: One Small Problem... (169kbbu) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:22:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One Small Problem... (169kbbu)
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 3 Nov 2012 16:15:00
Message: <web.50957af25166b3d9d97ee2b90@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:
> On 03/11/12 04:26, John VanSickle wrote:
> > The chief problem with this model is that it contains 2152
> > scene-level objects.  There are ways to lower this, but that'll take
> > some work.
>
>    What? ...you used text{} for every label? WOW, what a patience! When I
> tried to model one for my office scene, I ended up modeling it as a
> heighfield with an image_map... I'm that lazy.
>
>    BTW, I think I've not seen a one-row enter key on the last 20 years...
> but as clipka said, the labeling is "awsome rolex" material.
>
> --
> Jaime

That's odd... I haven't seen a two-row enter key in years.  they're usually on
REALLY OLD computers that don't have the windows and menu keys to the right of
the spacebar.

both of my keyboards have single-row enter keys.  The last keyboard I had with a
big enter key was the ergonomic that I used on my Mac Performa about 13 years
ago, or so... I loved that keyboard, it even had a touchpad, which was awesome,
but it used an Apple ADB connector and my next computer was all usb.

As for the image, I think that it's good, but it needs a recess around the keys,
to make it look more realistic.  Perhaps, if you modeled the keys separately
fromthe rest of the keyboard, and had them sitting over a recess, you could
achieve the effect I'm thinking of.

the addition of the windows/apple and menu keys next to the spacebar would be a
plus too.  If it is a Windows/DOS style keyboard, f13 - f15 should be labeled as
mentioned above with Print Scrn/SysRq, Scroll Lock and Pause/Break.

I don't think it's a bad thing that the labels are done with text, considering
certain limitations I've run into recently with texturing CSG.  If you wanted
to, for instance, overlay a grime texture, this might be the way to go, sure it
takes time, and patience, but it's worth the effort.

Great start though.

Regards,
A.D.B.