POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface bricks : Re: Isosurface bricks Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface bricks
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 30 Oct 2012 00:50:08
Message: <web.508f5bcf1f1a289ed97ee2b90@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <lef### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 29/10/2012 09:16, Anthony D. Baye a écrit :
> > For the past several days, I've been trying to come up with a method for making
> > nice-looking isosurface brick walls.  I was hoping to use them in a halloween
> > themed scene, but I'm not sure I'll have it presentable in time, now... :(
> >
> > anyway... The bricks look sorta nice, so I thought I'd share.
> >
> > Regards,
> > A.D.B.
> >

> Very cool. (Really. I can feel the grain of the bricks)
>
> Now a few points:
> * where is the mortar ? (for halloween, the mortar was made of icing
> sugar... all leached... ;-) )
>  (more seriously, there is about 10 geometry for the mortar, each with a
> purpose or a usage:
>
> http://www.bontool.com/knowledge_center/KC_Mortar_Joints.asp
>
> and do not ask how & why I know that page!)
>
> * too much random variation of colours: colour of bricks came from the
> temperature in the oven, nearby bricks in the oven get the same kind of
> colour... and nearby bricks in the oven ends up as nearby bricks in the
> package... then nearby bricks in the package ends up on the same row or
> nearby rows (unless you are a Netherlander, in which case you might have
> a white package and a red package to pick from in order to make some
> motifs).
>
> * no burning remains on each bricks... too uniform colour of each bricks

The bricks are a simple f_rounded_box with irregular scaling based on a wrinkles
pattern multiplied by a scaled cells pattern to vary the brick depth.

The coloring is similar to a method by Jeff Lee, which can be found here:
http://www.shipbrook.net/jeff/raytrace/bricks.html

his doesn't have as much variation in the colors as mine does, though.  Probably
because he uses a bozo pattern, where I use a cells pattern (I find the cells
pattern easier to scale to the proper dimensions, whereas he uses the default
brick sizes)

What I'd really like to do, however, is model the entire wall as a continuous
isosurface.  Ive had -some- success with this using a warped checker pattern as
the base and filling the squares with a scaled boxed pigment, but the problem is
that when I scale the resulting pigment to match the dimensions of the bricks,
the mortar gets squashed vertically and stretched horizontally, and it throws
off the spacing of the pigment overlay... It's something I'll need to work with
a bit more.

Perhaps if I were to use a pair of gradients with a triangle_wave modifier, I
could calculate the falloff of the color maps so that it scales to the proper
dimensions...

anyway, I'm glad that someone likes it.

Regards,
A.D.B.