POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : povray to Objective-C: game dev environments : Re: povray to Objective-C: game dev environments Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:16:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray to Objective-C: game dev environments
From: gregjohn
Date: 25 Oct 2012 22:20:01
Message: <web.5089f24c57823c1e5474b7bd0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> gregjohn <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> > I've started tinkering with iPhone programming, and wonder if any other povvers
> > have experimented with the 3D systems available for iOS.  I myself am very
> > fluent in making complex scenes (don't laugh!!) in povray, but have no formal
> > OpenGL or object-oriented programming language. I've done a bit of reading on
> > the various systems out there and wondering which of these would have the
> > shortest learning curve to it from povray?
>
> Well, if all you care is making a 3D game, you should check Unity.
>
> http://unity3d.com/
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

Hmm, wow, to do it right in that path, a Unity pro package + iOS, is $3k. I
spent a little extra cash on a MacBook and wanted to dive into iOS game
programming. And it's interesting that the game dev environments seem to diverge
so greatly in cost/stability.  On one hand is a $3k option, which almost makes
me feel like an investor (if I had the money), not a hobbyist.   On the other
are environments that seem to be one guy's favor to the world, with no promise
of it staying available, or being worth the learning curve.

I'm almost thinking of just taking my povray characters and making some sprites,
and making games that way. I'm starting to learn how to make them move across
the screen, and I already have that skill.

Really stupid question: is a "sprite" game easier to hack than, say an OpenGLES
game? In terms of someone with a jailbroken phone to be able to get your sprite
sheets directly?