POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : less : Re: less Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:29:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: less
From: Shay
Date: 19 Oct 2012 08:15:01
Message: <web.508143493d7d089cc2421da0@news.povray.org>

> Having said that, from what I can tell, Linux is far more flexible, and
> Windows has a far higher probability of actually working.

That about sums it up for laptops with their extra buttons, hard-drive
protection, thumb scanners, etc. Linux "just works" (maybe not 100% optimally,
but you probably wouldn't notice) for a standard desktop.

But Linux has more going for it than "far more flexible". It won't be as
compatible as Windows, but it will do what it does do (e.g., window managers)
better[1]. Windows only wins with top-shelf software installed.

> > That being said, the Win7 "Windows Explorer" is more confusing that any
> > standard, modern Linux application I can think of.
>
> Really?

Maybe I just don't have it configured correctly. Not in front of it atm, but
iirc, the first screen doesn't show your file system as a connected network of
folders. What you see is shortcuts to various folders in your file system. This
is confusing if you want to go somewhere that doesn't have a shortcut. Two
clicks to get to my home folder, and, in my case, my home folder is called
"LENOVO_USER" in DOS and "Shay" in Windows Explorer. I found it frustrating at
first.

 -Shay

[1] This mirrors my limited experience with IDEs vs. text editors: the IDE can
do a lot of things, but the text editor component is never as nice ime as a
dedicated text editor. Similarly, Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, and
Explorer shell aren't nearly as nice as their FOSS counterparts.