POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lathe problems. : Re: Lathe problems. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lathe problems.
From: Tek
Date: 17 Oct 2012 11:35:01
Message: <web.507ecf4da5d212b1ed8e7a0@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> wrote:
> "Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> wrote:
> > "Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> wrote:
> >

> > > So I then created a second lathe object, making sure that it was inside the
> > > first and that the thickness was as constant as I could make it then referenced
> > > it to make the hourglass. Now there looks like there is flaring at the join.
> >
> >  The final two images are closeups of the join area. The first unfinished one
> > (12.5 hours) shows what looks like a disc around the join and the second is the
> > same scene with an opaque material
> >
> > One image at a time, it seems
>
> Now the opaque one

I suggest you render a cross-section, preferably highlighting the cutaway
surface (i.e. intersection { <hourglass> plane { -z, 0 pigment { rgb x } } } ).

But I think most of your problems come from using a spline type where you can't
control the gradient where the mirrored bulbs meet. So either don't mirror them,
and use a curve that describes both bulbs of the hourglass, or use a
bezier_spline and place the control point tangentially to the desired curve to
get a smooth transition.

Or you could download the source for my "Sands Of Time" IRTC entry:
http://exether.free.fr/irtc/index.php?sub=pg2004&lang=en&year=2004&month=8&typ=S&mrk=C
;)

--
Tek