POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Layering detail textures : Re: Layering detail textures Server Time
26 Apr 2024 13:35:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Layering detail textures
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 9 Oct 2012 22:25:01
Message: <web.5074dc38207c714ed97ee2b90@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> > I have a prop object I just finished creating, it is built from individually
> > textured elements.
> >
> > what I'd like to do is add detail textures to the whole thing, based on image
> > maps, but I can't figure out how to make it work.
> >
> > Any help on this would be appreciated.. I'd post code, but I'd like to debut the
> > finished object as a whole.
> >
> > Regards,
> > A.D.B.
> >

> No individualy textured CSG component can ever receive any texturing
> applied to the whole SCG. Any pigment, texture, finish, interior, normal
> or material applied to a SCG object affect only the untextured
> components. This allow you to have a main texture, then, add individual
> textures as needed to specific elements. It's by design.
>
> If you want to apply some overlay texture to individualy textured
> component, you need to apply that overlay texture as a layered texture
> over the existing texture of each textured component.
>

> Alain

The reason the elements are individually textured is that, though they may use
the same texture, the orientation of that texture is important w/r/t the
individual object, and cannot be placed on the whole model.

The problem is that I want to apply a series of overlays to the object as a
whole, to simulate the effects of age, decals, spray-paint etc...  doing this to
individual objects would make the csg ten times as complicated - making it
impossible for me to construct the object procedurally, and use different
overlays for different situations - and involve complex transformations of
textures on the micro-level.

I've tried turning the image maps into isosurfaces and differencing them from
the object, but that's not working either because of sharp edges.

the only other things I can think of is constructing them as csg objects, which
would be tedious if not impossible, or "spraying" them on as microscopic
particles using trace and eval_pigment...

Regards,
A.D.B.