POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3) : Re: Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3): Randomness problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:28:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3): Randomness problem
From: helge h
Date: 2 Oct 2012 21:25:00
Message: <web.506b93ddbc03630553ca1f910@news.povray.org>

> A lizard. I have orientated it differently now: more light, less shadows
> (but not its last transformation I guess).

I like the progress on this image, very impressing. The axis between the two
men; the invisible line between their eyes is a main composition element that is
nicely echoed by other lines, and there are lines normal to this (the rope at
the front of the boat especially) that binds the composition together. The
clouds make an arc that is echoed in the line of the bright hill in the
background. The direction of the lines in the foreground also contributes in a
good way.

A few points on the composition, if I may: the lizard seems to me to point out
of the image. I believe it would be better if its nose was turned to maybe seven
or eight o'clock (in the image plane, that is). That way it would keep the flow
of the composition back into the image. The lizard has become a very important
element in this image, and should be placed exactly right. (Have a look at
Rembrandts anatomy lesson; the book on the right stops all the gazes of the
men.)

The light horizontal line of the edge of the dockside (is that the correct
word?) (in front of the man on the right) is broken by the man and the packages,
but seems a bit even; the stones could perhaps be a little jumbled, and if the
camera is turned slightly, it wouldn't be exactly horizontal as it looks now.

The hill in the background - is it perhaps too bright? I'm thinking it draws the
attention into the middle of the image and not letting the eyes wander around.
The brightest area in an image will often get the most attention.

But maybe I'm wrong about these things, this is your image, after all. I'm
looking forward to the next versions.