POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Black Mesa : Re: Black Mesa Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black Mesa
From: waggy
Date: 22 Sep 2012 16:45:00
Message: <web.505e22e140b03f359726a3c10@news.povray.org>
> On 22/09/2012 03:47 AM, waggy wrote:
> > So, I think a proper installation procedure might be as follows.
> > [...]
>
> Yes.
>
> (Although you might find the account stops working after a while if you
> don't validate the email, I'm not sure.)

Thank-you for the sanity check. I sent these instructions, with the necessary
links, to a younger colleague who hasn't been gaming for several years.

> > Also, OP: thank you very much for posting this. I bought this notebook for my
> > SO, and wanted to verify that it can run modern games without difficulty (even
> > if it heats the house while doing so). Color me impressed, by both this game and
> > the new 'puter. I'd never even tried to play an FPS game until now.
>
> The game is certainly good stuff...

I'm wondering if the interest I've noticed is indicative of a larger trend. My
SO and I are both mid-forties, female and male, respectively. She's been a
pretty heavy casual gamer, now showing some interest in AAA games. The
colleagues I've been talking with about videogames are males in their twenties
who used to game a lot when they were kids, but gave it up while slogging
through the grueling requirements for engineering degrees. It looks like, with
the right enticements, there are at least a few people willing to open new Steam
accounts.

It's reasonable to assume that Steam and other distributors will notice if this
is a significant trend, and do some market research to figure out both how to
bring in these new customers and what these folks are likely to buy once hooked.
My intuition is that there is a gap between casual games and AAA titles that may
see a bump in demand over the next few years.

My interest is primarily in videogame development, as this is currently my Plan
B in case the engineering research thing doesn't work out. It's looking like
there is a reasonable possibility I could put a small team together if, for
example, our research grant funding dries up. A small team with limited funding
obviously wouldn't be sufficient for AAA development, but I've been kicking
around some game ideas that might appeal to casual gamers who are considering
moving up to something a bit more intense than the typical hidden object and
match-three games.