POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : US $1 : US $1 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:29:11 EDT (-0400)
  US $1
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 22 Sep 2012 16:25:01
Message: <web.505e1d747712b0969c1a12990@news.povray.org>
And it's... even more Bullet physics fun :)

The coins use height data from a real object. Working in Gimp, I followed a
tutorial(1) to create normal maps for both sides, and then used a certain
program(2) to generate the depth information POV needs. Four scans per side were
required, which is definitely the most time-consuming part of the process,
especially considering the fact that I only had one coin to work with. The maps
were finalized with some selective Gaussian blurring to clean up as many
artifacts as possible.

The results aren't perfect, as I'm limited by the quality of the initial scans,
and by the conversion program's 512x512 .bmp output. But they aren't too bad,
and I may end up generating maps for the lesser denominations as well.

Sam

(1) http://zarria.net/nrmphoto/nrmphoto.html
(2) http://zarria.net/heightmap/

Post a reply to this message